Eliza’s Fruit Cake
- Cook time:
- 2 1/2 hours + soaking
- 1 cake
- 3 cups pitted prunes, halved and soaked overnight in 4 tbsp brandy or whisky
- 250g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2½ cups mixed dried fruit
- ⅔ cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup raisins or sultanas
- ¼ cup citrus peel, chopped
- 60 whole blanched almonds, to decorate
- 1½ cups ground almonds
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 beaten egg
Preheat oven to 150°C fanbake. Grease a deep 21cm-diameter cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy then beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour and baking powder until smooth, then add dried fruit, apricots, raisins or sultanas, citrus peel and soaked prunes and mix until evenly combined. Transfer to prepared cake tin.
Bake for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
While cake is baking, make Almond Paste by mixing all ingredients. Remove cooked cake from oven and cover with Almond Paste while still in the tin.
Decorate with almonds and return to oven until almonds are lightly browned (about 15 minutes).