If you love Milo, then you’ll love this decadent Milo trifle. With layers of Milo-spiked chocolate custard, milk jelly and biscuit crumbs, as well as a cheeky liqueur surprise waiting at the bottom, they’ll be perfect for your next dinner party.
- 125 g chocolate ripple biscuits
- 1/4 cup Nestle Milo
- 50 g butter melted
- 6 Savoiardi sponge finger biscuits
- 60 ml Baileys
- 200 ml thickened cream whipped
- 1/2 cup Nestle Milo *extra *to serve
- 125 g dark chocolate buttons
- 3/4 cup custard
- 2 tbs Nestle Milo
- 100 ml thickened cream
- 200 ml milk
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp gelatine
- 2 tbs Nestle Milo
- STEP 1 Preheat oven to 180C (160 fan-forced). Blitz chocolate biscuits into a fine crumb in a food processor. Combine with Milo and melted butter. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and spread into a thin layer. Bake for 5-8 minutes. Allow to cool, then break into pieces. Place in a zip-lock bag and bash with a rolling pin to form coarse crumbs. Don’t overdo it – you want different sized pieces.
- STEP 2 Cut Savoiardi biscuits to fit the base of your serving glasses. Place in 1-2 layers and then pour over Baileys, allowing it to soak in. Gently press down with a spoon to ensure biscuits are well coated.
- STEP 3 To make the custard: place dark chocolate buttons in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted. Add custard and stir until smooth and silky. Remove from heat and stir through Milo. Spoon custard over Savoiardi biscuits in serving glasses and refrigerate to set.
- STEP 4 Next, make your Milo jelly: Heat cream and 100ml milk in a saucepan until just simmering. Stir through sugar, then whisk in gelatine until completely dissolved. Add remaining 100ml milk and Milo, and whisk until combined. Pour into a jug and leave for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- STEP 5 Place 1-2 teaspoons of biscuit crumbs in serving glasses on top of set custard. Top with cooled jelly mixture to form a layer. Return to fridge and leave for at least half an hour to set completely.
- STEP 6 When you are ready to serve, remove trifles from fridge. Add a second layer of chocolate crumb, then top with whipped cream and a final sprinkling of Milo.
For a kid-friendly, non-alcoholic version, soak the Savoiardi biscuits in chocolate milk instead of Baileys.
The first layer of crumbs set within the jelly layer and add a delicious “cookies and cream” crunch. – If you would prefer straight jelly, omit the crumbs and just pour the jelly straight onto the custard layer.